Pimple in mouth can be one of the pimple types suffered by those in adolescent age. The pimples will not be only visible on face skin but also inside your mouth. It is commonly caused by the scratched skin that is infected or clogged pores. The location inside mouth makes it so uncomfortable. It is very annoying when the inflammation is touched by foods or drinks you consume while the pimples grow.
The causes of pimple inside mouth can be in varied. For example, because you consume something too hot, too spicy, sour or salty. Whilst the tongue pimples, gums, and other inner mouth surface are commonly called ulcers or canker sores. The cause of it is unknown, but food allergies, stress and hormonal imbalance are believed as the common causes. Mucous cyst is another condition of pimple on lips’ inner surface, the floor and roof of mouth as well as the tongue. It is commonly thin and not painful. Piercing and sucking lips within teeth are the most common causes of the pimples.
Oral lichen planus is another type of pimples in mouth that is caused by liver disease or medications that are being taken. The inflammation in mucous membranes make the pimples grow. They commonly grow on the inner cheeks or the sides of tongue. Meanwhile, some pimples also appear on the location of taste buds. It is causes by the inflammation in papillae. Accidentally biting the tongue or the burning of hot food are the most common causes of the pimples.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pimple in Mouth
There are some home remedy options that can be used to get rid of mouth pimple. You can learn them and the steps to use them below.
1. Licorice Root
Licorice root can be used to cure pimple inside mouth. The herb will be functional to form protective coating and demulcent on mucous membranes. So it will fight the irritation and soothe the wounds. Licorice root also contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. The steps to use this home remedy are:
- Take one tablespoon of licorice root that has been crushed and then soak it into 2 cups of water in about 3 hours.
- Use the licorice root water to rinse your mouth every day.
You can also take this home remedy as chewable tablets containing deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) or mix DGL with warm water for gargle.
2. Coconut Milk
One of the benefits of coconut milk is to soothe the pain. Do some steps below to use coconut milk as home remedy:
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut milk with a little honey. Use the mixture to massage the irritated area about 3 – 4 times every day.
- You can also use some fresh coconut milk to rinse your mouth or massage the pimples by using a little coconut oil.
3. Sea Salt plus Hydrogen Peroxide
You can get the antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties inside the sea salt and hydrogen peroxide. You can mix the two ingredients or use them separately to heal mouth pimples, canker sores or ulcers. The steps to use the home remedy are:
- Take a glass of warm water and then add two tablespoons of sea salt and two tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Mix the ingredients well.
- Use the mixture to rinse your mouth.
- You can have the home remedy 1-2 times per day but make sure you don’t swallow the mixture.
4. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds that are infused can become remedy to reduce and relief inflammation. The steps to use the coriander seeds are:
- Have a cup of water to boil with one teaspoons of coriander seeds. Strain and then let it cool naturally.
- Use the water to swish around your mouth.
- Have the home remedy 3-4 times every day.
The benefit of honey is to soothe the pain, moisture the skin and make the healing process faster. Honey also contains antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Steps to use honey are:
- Dip a cotton swab into some honey.
- Dab the cotton on the pimples gently.
- If the pimples are caused by radiation therapy, you can use Manuka honey as the home remedy.
The pimples that grow inside mouth is commonly a problem that cannot be prevented because the causes of the problem are something that can’t be controlled, including the medical condition or the family history. However, some tips below may help reducing the developing risk of the pimples.
- Avoid some foods that can make the pimples worse like spicy foods, chocolate, coffee, artificial sweetener and taste improver, etc. that can cause the pimples appearance in mouth.
- Stop chewing gums.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles so it will reduce the scratches as well as irritations inside mouth
- Don’t use toothpaste that contains sodium lauryl sulphate as one of the ingredients.
- For some people, stress and anxiety are the reasons of pimples. If you so, you should reduce the factors happened in yourself.
Pimples inside mouth are common health problem that the cause is unknown exactly. The pimples can grow in any part of your mouth including on your lips, on inner cheeks, above or beside the tongue, or even in the throat. Food allergies and infected scratches on the skin are the most common causes of this pimple. It can be easily treated by using some home remedies such as putting warm cloth or something cold on the pimples for some time, stop using lipstick and lip balm, brush the pimples with gentle a toothbrush, and clean the mouth appropriately.
However, you need to see a doctor or a dermatologist when the home remedies can’t make any improvement to the annoying pimples. The doctor will examine the condition and make deeper examinations when the pimples don’t improve after some medication consumption. It is important to see the doctor after a long time of mouth pimple suffering so you can know earlier if the pimple is a symptom of a serious illness.